Motor Vehicles – Titling, Registration, Renewal


Motor vehicle registration renewal is the most widely used service of the County Clerk’s office. When renewing your registration IN OUR OFFICE, please bring your previous registration and proof of insurance. You can email proof of insurance to [email protected] or fax it to (502) 477-3216. Our office accepts cash, check, debit and credit cards. With debit and credit cards, there is an additional 2.75% fee that the vendor charges for this service.

You have two other options for renewal:

  1. By Mail: Mail your UNEXPIRED registration, proof of insurance, and check for payment to our mailing address (see below).
    Make sure to include an additional $2.00 for postage and handling. MAKE SURE YOUR ADDRESS IS CORRECT. THIS IS WHERE YOUR REGISTRATION WILL BE MAILED.
  2. ONLINE: You can renew your Unbridled Spirit or In God We Trust passenger plates HERE. **IF YOU HAVE ANY DELINQUENT MOTOR VEHICLE TAXES, OR IF YOUR REGISTRATION HAS EXPIRED, YOU MUST RENEW YOUR REGISTRATION IN THE COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE. If you have any questions, you can get more information at

Vehicles: You must have a valid title or certificate of origin to transfer a vehicle. Out-of-state titles also require a completed Application For Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration (VTR form TC96-182). This form serves two purposes: It is an affidavit for sales price and an inspection form for the sheriff. This form can be downloaded from this website [HERE] or picked up in the County Clerk’s office. You will also need a current Kentucky Proof of Insurance card for the vehicle. Our office needs a physical copy of this document. We cannot process it from a picture on your smartphone. You can email proof of insurance to [email protected] or fax it to (502) 477-3216. If you do not provide proof of insurance, you can transfer the vehicle “TITLE ONLY”, meaning without registration or plates. It cannot be driven until proof of insurance and registration is processed in the county clerk’s office. All signatures must be notarized.

Any checks sent to our office to process dealer work that are less than $5.00 over the total cost of the dealer processing fees will be deposited into the Spencer County Clerk’s postage fee account unless otherwise requested by the dealer. Checks in excess of $5.00 of the total costs of processing fees will be rejected and returned to the dealer and a new check will need to be issued to process the dealer work. Please call 502-477-3215 with any questions.

For additional information visit – An official website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky

Skip to content